Rheuben Allen Music Education Foundation
Senior level business and entertainment industry executive with over 30 years of business, legal and creative experience in film, television, licensing, music, new media, sports, estate/trust management, and litigation management.
- ● Senior Vice President, Tribune Entertainment: Oversight of Business Affairs and production of syndicated and network television. Reality, scripted, short and long form programming.
- ● Founder/Co-CEO, Underworld Entertainment: Produced critically acclaimed “Menace II Society” and “Dead Presidents”. Domestic box office for “Menace” generated 15x production cost.
- ● CEO/Founder, Iconic Spectrum: Manage iconic brands such as Miles Davis and Count Basie, including production of feature films (documentaries and narrative), experiential events and co-branded products.
Iconic Spectrum, Los Angeles, CA CEO and Founder.
1996 – Present
Build brand value for icons by creating compelling content, developing synergistic co-branding partnerships and producing international experiential events.
Co-Branding Partnerships include: Breitling, Piaget, Mont Blanc, McIntosh, Morgan Stanley, Wilmington Trust/M&T Bank, American Express, PRPS, SUPREME, GAP, Sony Pictures, HBO, Netflix, BBC, American Masters, Amazon, Virgin, Bass Ale, Warner Brothers Pictures, La Poste, United States Postal Service, GRAMMY Museum, Rock & Roll HOF, Smithsonian Museums.
- ● Miles Davis Properties, LLC – Oversee all business and creative aspects of Miles Davis’ estate, including licensing of music, music publishing, intellectual property, and art. Develop and execute marketing, sales, promotions and publicity plans. Oversight of relationships with branding partners, counsel (Manatt, Phelps & Phillips), Sony Records, Warner Brothers Records, Concord Records, Capital Records, Universal Music, Kobalt Music, publicists and business managers. Currently activations include rolling out of “Kind of Blue” Scotch/Whisky, opening dedicated Miles branded art facility at Caesar’s Palace Forum Shops, and developing Broadway play. “Miles Ahead” –Produced a Miles Davis inspired feature film, directed by and starring Golden Globe Award winner and Academy Award nominated actor Don Cheadle and Ewan McGregor. Released by Sony Pictures Classics. “Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool”- Documentary about the life of Miles Davis and directed by award winning director Stanley Nelson. Co-partnership with BBC, American Masters, Eagle Rock Entertainment, and Netflix.
- ● The William J. “Count” Basie Trust –Oversaw all entertainment and Intellectual Property matters regarding Count Basie’s estate. Develop and execute marketing, promotional, publicity and sales campaigns. Negotiated and oversaw the sale of all royalty streams, intellectual property and memorabilia owned by William J. Basie Trust.
- ● The George Duke Music Trust— Oversee all business and creative aspects of George Duke’s estate, including licensing of music, music publishing, name, likeness and intellectual property.
- ● Don Cornelius Productions; Soul Train, Inc.— Oversaw legal, licensing (syndication, cable, DVD, “on demand” and foreign) of 1200+ hours of weekly episodes of Soul Train and Soul Train Music Awards, related photo library, and trademark licensing. Deals included option agreements to develop one-hour dramatic series, feature films, and
Darryl Porter – Soundtracks. Resolved guild disputes. Oversaw sale of Soul Train assets, including library and trademarks in 2007.
Vetted acquisition opportunities, including television stations, libraries, and cable networks.
● The Norman Whitfield Trust – Served as Co-trustee, with BNY Mellon Bank, overseeing all business, legal, creative and trust aspects of The Norman Whitfield Trust. Norman Whitfield was one of the most prolific writers and producers of the Motown Records era. Mr. Whitfield won multiple Grammy Awards and was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
Underworld Entertainment, Inc., Hollywood, CA 1993 – 1996
Oversaw all business and legal matters. Underworld Entertainment’s charter was to develop and produce feature films, soundtracks and artist albums via strategic partnerships with studios and major record labels. Consummated exclusive, multi-picture film deal with Caravan/Hollywood Pictures (Disney), which granted Underworld green-lighting power for films. Entered into exclusive imprint record label deal with Capitol Records and then Interscope to release soundtracks and artist albums.
- ● “Dead Presidents” – Caravan/Hollywood Pictures (1995).
- ● “Menace II Society” – New Line Cinema (1993). This film was admitted to the Cannes Film Festival and named one of the 10 best movies of the year. Tribune Entertainment Company, Chicago, IL 1989– 1993 Senior Vice-President, Business Group.
Oversaw business/ legal affairs. Responsible for structuring and negotiating talent and production deals, the production and maintenance of network and syndicated television programming which included mini-series, movies-of-the-week, daytime and late night talk shows, variety shows, news/information programs, children’s programs, infomercials and annual award shows. Oversaw production of 17 1⁄2 hours of original programming per week. Negotiated off network license deals for Tribune Broadcasting Group.
Daily and Weekly Television Programs: “Soul Train”, “Geraldo”, “The Joan Rivers’ Show”, “The Dennis Miller Show”, “Apollo Comedy Hour”, “Now It Can Be Told”, “Monsters”, “Tales From The Darkside”, “Dionne Warwick and Friends”, “U.S. Farm Report”, and “Geraldo Live Investigative Specials”.
Mini-Series and Made-For –Television Movies: “To Catch a Killer: The John Wayne Gacy Story”, Sidney Sheldon’s “Memories of Midnight” and “The Sands of Time”, “Voyage of Terror; The Achielle Laurel Affair”, “Vendetta” (I & II), “A Child Called Jesus”, “Final Shot: The Hank Gathers Story”, “The Vernon Johns Story” and the colorized version of John Wayne’s “Stagecoach”.
McBride, Baker & Cole (became Holland & Knight), Chicago, IL
Specialized in entertainment, advertising and sports.
Schuyler, Roche & Zwirner, Chicago, IL
Specialized in securities litigation and sports/entertainment.
Darryl Porter – EDUCATION
University of Illinois, College of Law, Champaign, IL Juris Doctorate
DePaul University, College of Commerce, Chicago, IL Bachelor of Science
PROFESSIONAL LICENSES AND AFFILIATIONS
Member of Illinois Bar.
Vice-Chairman, The Rheuben Allen Education Foundation
Former Member of Board of Directors, I Have a Dream Foundation—Los Angeles. Former Member of Los Angeles County Fair Association.
May 1986 June 1983